Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Various Artists - Yellow Pills: Prefille (Numero Group,2004)

Various Artists - Yellow Pills: Prefill
Numero Group,2004

LAME -V2 (vbr)
Includes: Box art, front cover

I'll just get this out of the way: If you're not familiar with the work that the folks at Numero Group have been doing over the past few years, you need to wake up.

Recently I've been listening to a lot of the new John Peel compilation "Perfect Unpop: Peel Show Hits and Long-Lost Lo-Fi Favourites Vol.1 - 1976-1980" and realized that man do I love some well done pop from that era. I don't know nearly enough about the genre, but I do know that one of the first compilations I heard that really exposed the more "underground" style of this music to me personally was Yellow Pills: Prefill. And well, I figured that there'd be no better way to share my love for that album than to share it here.

Numero has dedicated themselves to bringing forth forgotten gems of all varieties out into the limelight where it belongs. Whether it be solo acoustic guitar work, funk, country or in this case power pop - they have proven to be some very fine purveyors of lost music that *deserves* recognition.

Hitting you head on with full force from the get go, there's "Green Hearts" by Luxury. Track two doesn't let up, hell if anything its even more spastic and fun, with "I Need That Record" from The Tweeds. Fast forward a bit to "You Need Pop" by The Speedies. Again, excellent stuff. Rather than basically say the same thing over and over for all 30+ tracks, I'll just say that there's not a soft spot on this compilation, and if you ask me that's really something considering this is a 2 disc set.

The original Yellow Pills series started being released in 1993 by Jordan Oaks (a few years after he started a power pop fanzine with the same name) so that he could share his love for raw pop tunes that dominated a lot of airwaves in the late 70s and early 80s that he loved so much. "Prefill" serves as a bit of a precursor of these tunes, one which represents some of the rarest & rowdiest the genre has to offer.

I know summer is almost over already, but I highly suggest that you take this album out with you and just drive around or go swimming with your pals in the hot sun and soak up the (sound)waves.

Favorite Tracks:
Luxury - Green Eyes & One In A Million
The Sponsors - In And Out Of Love
The Bats - Not Easy For Me
Randy Winburn - Sunshine U.S.A.

....

No comments: