Friday, June 20, 2008

The Monks - Black Monk Time (Infinite Zero,1997)

The Monks - Black Monk Time
(Infinite Zero, 1997 reissue w/ bonus tracks.)
(Original release was Polydor, 1966.)


192cbr Xing
Includes: front cover

Woohoo, my first post! I've been struggling with what to post and finally decided to go with one of my absolute favorites ever, Monks' (or "The Monks," if you prefer) Black Monk Time.

O.G.s of feedback, mad men of rhythm, Krautrock pioneers(?), these disgruntled American soldiers stationed in 1960s Germany came together to blow off some steam. Their unholy musical union birthed the amazing Black Monk sound (Monkmusik) which combines raging banjo, the badassest organ this side of that opening bit of Bach's Toccata, crazed vocals, chants, and persistant rhythms (I challenge you to try and not drum along on whatever table, steering wheel, or thigh you have within reach! Good luck on that.) to wondrous effect.
I sincerely love this album, and I hope you will too.

Check out their official website (it's not hard to find) for lots of good reads and photos of the fellas in all of their tonsured glory.

Favorite Tracks (click to hear): Monk Time, I Hate You, Complication


01. Monk Time
02. Shut Up
03. Boys Are Boys and Girls Are Choice
04. Higgle-Dy-Piggle-Dy
05. I Hate You
06. Oh, How to Do Now
07. Complication
08. We Do Wie Du
09. Drunken Maria
10. Love Came Tumblin' Down
11. Blast Off!
12. That's My Girl
13. I Can't Get Over You
14. Cuckoo
15. Love Can Tame the Wild
16. He Went Down to the Sea
17. Monk Chant [Live]
18. I Hate You [Demo Version]
19. Oh, How to Do Now [Demo Version]

....

No comments: