Friday, June 27, 2008

Sam Cooke -Live at Harlem the Square Club, 1963 (RCA, 1985)

Sam Cooke - Live at the Harlem Square Club, 1963
(RCA, 1985)

LAME V0

Everyone knows a Sam Cooke tune. Even if they don't know who sings it, they've at least heard "Cupid," "You Send Me," or any of the other twenty-nine Top 40 Hits Sam had between 1957 and 1965 playing over the grocery store speakers. Y'know what I have to say about that? I have to say, "It's not enough! They need to hear more!"

This is no obscure record, it's a classic and I think it's a damned shame that there are ears on this planet that haven't had the pleasure of listening to it straight through. The studio versions of these classic tunes are a delight, that's sure, but they can't hold a candle to the power of this live performance. It's not polished and clean, it's a little rough and raw and I like it that way. It's as though you can hear the sweat on Cooke's brow along with his every guttural "Ha!" and every howl of approval from the crowd. Sam's amazingly passionate, sometimes even desperate, vocals are so convincing and moving on tunes like "Bring It On Home" that it's easy to forget that he was only a young thirty-three years old when he died in 1964, a year after this performance was recorded.

It's my understanding that this album wasn't actually released until 1985, if I'm wrong on that, someone drop me a line and let me know. I'm only including one preview track because you've got to hear the whole thing, to really appreciate what is easily one of the greatest live albums ever made.

PLAY IT LOUD AND SHAKE WHAT YOUR MOMMA GAVE YOU!!! : )

Favorite Tracks (click to play): Bring It On Home

01. Feel It
02. Chain Gang
03. Cupid
04. Medley: It's All Right / For Sentimental Reasons
05. Twisting the Night Away
06. Somebody Have Mercy
07. Bring It On Home to Me
08. Nothing Can Change This Love
09. Having a Party

....

2 comments:

Mr. Pablo said...

maybe I'm blind, but I can't find a link to download any of the offerings on this blog - could you please tell me where to click?

Sweet William said...

"...."